Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Remaining Staunchly Apathetic

It's harder and harder to keep myself politically apathetic and neutral. Have stopped scrutinising the newspapers too closely and I watch the news only when doing a few other things at the same time. It really helps. The other way is to become stupid - sorry can't help with that.

Let's talk about makeup makeovers instead! Managed to successfully convince myself the other day that I was rich whilst standing at the Shiseido counter at Robinsons City Hall and whilst I was in a bit of a pinch. Client cocktail starting in 1 hour, just finished a meeting where I was out of the office without even a lipstick. Imagine that. It's like leaving the office without my wallet or mobile phone, only far far worse. OK, being stuck in Jakarta without any underpants but with 5 coloured wooden blocks in my suitcase would've been far far worse, but I digress.

I approached the makeup counter lady and told her about the predicament. Out of office without makeup, rush hour, need a full makeover on an emergency basis. Her eyes went flat - I could see her thinking - "not another leech trying to get a free makeover". Then I said the magic words: "I NEED TO BUY A FULL SET OF MAKEUP AND I ONLY HAVE 20 MINUTES".

Suddenly it was like Christmas and her birthday all rolled into one. I've never seen a fat woman move so fast. It was like a watching a headless chicken video in fast forward. She pulled together pre-makeup primer, foundation, blusher, lipstick and lipgloss, fast-tracked the payment procedure then opened everything and did a full makeover on me, including removal of existing makeup. Then there was the orgy of free samples and even a full-size faux gold lame leather bag as a free gift.

I can't possibly fit that into my briefcase, I said. She packed up all the samples and boxes, folded the bag like it was origami and actually managed to stuff it all in. I swear I am still finding stuff in the crevices of my briefcase.

With excitement like this readily available just about anywhere, why would anyone wish to oppose the Government?

13 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger knobby said...

I hope E@L sees this.

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

buying power - the best motivating factor (:

btw, i've been meaning to ask - what is SBN&G?

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

Knobby: Why? I wasn't aware that he was looking for a makeup makeover. Although no amount of makeup is going to cover that bruise.

Liz: I have to admit that I am not sure. The Husband did all the linkups for me and put up all the names. I am also curious and will ask him.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger knobby said...

Because I think he's been trying to figure out why practically everyone else is apathetic while he's apoplexic (sp?). This is one theory! Might even help him figure out how to distract himself and ignore reality.

Besides getting a makeover, reading 1984 helps too, I think. As does watching home videos of soldiers defending themselves against marauding hordes of 17-year old nuns. Then we can all happily say that we're nowhere near that parlous state, so we must be doing pretty well.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

Actually I can't figure why he gets so disturbed. After all, he is not directly affected.

It could be worse - I watched a documentary about life in North Korea and they wake up the entire country with air-raid sirens EVERY DAY at 7 am. Talk about paternalistic.

Liz: I'm sorry - the husband cannot remember what SBN&G stand for!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger knobby said...

Actually I can't figure why he gets so disturbed. After all, he is not directly affected.

Ah, now this is where you and he differ. He believes in an ideal set of standards for all humanity to live by. You're more pragmatic and/or blasé about stuff like that.

Wake-up sirens? Ok, so at least, someone has read Orwell.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no problemo (: it's pretty unique anyhow!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

How can we not be blase? E@L always has the option of a plane ride out of here, and he'll be home free.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger expat@large said...

I am SO directly affected - the lunatic taxi-drivers whose tourette's induced suicide tactics and crazy opinions about the universe assail me every day I am there! Those Boat-Quay restaurant hawkers who consider it welcoming to visitors to physically obstruct their passage down their malodorous gauntlet. Those bar-manager who teach their bar-staff to serve half-measures and charge for full. Those increased taxi-charges that have added 40% to my daily ride to work.

The fact that my incredibly intelligent friends have gone apathetic when they should be going to jail for public displays of protest...

It's true, I am not stuck here. Well, I am stuck in rut, but I could always leave and do my job from Thailand like one of my colleagues, but where is the fun in that.

See my previous theory from last year about taxi-drivers and caged panthers and then extrapolate it to the entire island and its restless natives.

~~~~~~~~~~

That bruise has gone btw, though its tenderness (and a lump) linger on.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger knobby said...

How can we not be blase? E@L always has the option of a plane ride out of here, and he'll be home free.

So what you're actually saying is that this isn't about being blasé (nonchalant, indifferent, whatever). It's about fear or compulsion. You agree?

BTW, we can always take this discussion offline if you prefer. Send me an email if you like [sportycoffee |at| gmail] and maybe Phil will want to be on cc as well.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, burberry, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, longchamp, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, replica watches, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, prada outlet, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, burberry outlet online, nike air max, jordan shoes, ugg boots, cheap oakley sunglasses

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

toms shoes, moncler, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, michael kors handbags, barbour, replica watches, moncler, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, wedding dresses, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, barbour jackets, louis vuitton, karen millen, michael kors outlet, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, moncler, louis vuitton, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, montre pas cher, moncler, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, swarovski crystal, links of london, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, canada goose, michael kors outlet online, hollister, moncler, moncler, ugg boots uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, canada goose, swarovski, sac louis vuitton pas cher, coach outlet

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ugg outlet
nike air force 1
yeezy shoes
redskins jerseys
jordan shoes
ugg boots
mont blanc outlet
coach outlet
cheap ugg boots
michael kors uk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home