Thursday, April 26, 2007

BLF

Transaction fatigue has set in (finally) after 4 months of working on the same project day in night out. Today no signing? Tomorrow. Tomorrow no signing? Day after. Day after no signing? Day after that. And every day we amend and turnaround a new set of documents. It's the daily SPA. 4 - 6 hour telephone conferences during the day, and nights of frantically amending the same documents over and over and over and over and over again. I wonder if I insert a little joke into the proviso to Clause 6.2(e)(i)(aa)(B), will anyone notice.

Friday night we were in the office till 6 am Saturday, went home, slept, bathed, changed, returned to office at 9 am for a telephone conference, went home, amended and turned around the draft Saturday night, Sunday afternoon telephone conference, amended the draft and circulated on Sunday night. Monday morning .... and so on and so forth. The focal point of my life has dwindled to a stack of draft documents. I play with my son and wonder about whether we need to add some words to the non-compete, just to be sure. As soon as my son is preoccupied with his toys, I sneak off to the study to make some more amendments to the draft, with the clock in my head ticking away madly because everything is NOW NOW NOW.

I think yesterday I forgot to pee. Then I remembered, and then on the way out to the bathroom, the phone rang. 2 hours later, I remembered again, and this time I made it a point to go.

And through all this, I can't help but notice I'm having an easy time of it. After all, no matter what day and what time I call the investment bankers, they are always in the office. Once I tried calling the most junior member of the team at 4.30 am on a Sunday morning, on his office DID. He picked up and spoke like it was 4.30 in the afternoon. How he has not lost it completely by now is beyond me.

Have become a total bore. I have nothing to say to anyone who is not working on this transaction that could possibly be of any interest to them. Had lunch today with 3 friends. Racked my brains. Then talked about the different methods of formatting agreements so that we can enjoy auto-cross-referencing, and how to handle auto-numbering in stupid Word for Windows which frankly is the worst invention EVER. How do I describe Word for Windows. It's a hyperactive autistic sadist. If I see that stupid smiling paper clip again, or that retarded little dog, I am going to hurl my monitor out the window. When will MS get it into their heads that they should just bring back WordPerfect 5.1.

12 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nowadays when i hear the phrase "work-life balance" my mind goes into this very funny whirl and i chuckle to myself.

over time i realised work-life balance actually means work = life. when work is life and life is work, there is true balance.

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Indiana said...

When someone far wiser than all us monkeys once said that "if you can find something you love to do, then do it", they were right. Work is such a huge part of our life and the daily grind is so much just that the secret is being able to be happy doing what you do...because chances are its not going to change...

...which is unfortunate since I always thought the secret to happiness was find a rich wife.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger miss ene said...

But couldn't you turn off that annoying MS paperclip? (I hate it too).

I read about your worklife and I thank my lucky stars I am not in your shoes.

Must. have. more. to. life. than. work.

:)

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Fore! said...

Clippy the Paper Clip has been retired since Office XP. You can see the farewell video "Clippy Faces Facts" here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMShkAZR1-Q

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm seriously contemplating going to law school after I finish this political science degree. Now you're scaring me. LOL. Nah, not really. I thrive on work. I think. Keeps me out of trouble.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please pee.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Fiery said...

Investment bankers and lawyers work twice the hours so they can retire in half the time. :-)

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but calls to one's DID can be forwarded to a mobile number.

and every waking hour that that banker spends entertaining your calls pays off in the form of a big fat bonus at the end of the yr. which is something lawyers dont get

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger chew said...

Wordstar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordStar

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, burberry, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, longchamp, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, replica watches, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, prada outlet, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, burberry outlet online, nike air max, jordan shoes, ugg boots, cheap oakley sunglasses

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin, birkin bag, hollister, longchamp, ghd, insanity workout, nike roshe, beats by dre, hollister, oakley, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, celine handbags, hollister, asics running shoes, gucci, giuseppe zanotti, vans, wedding dresses, timberland boots, mont blanc, north face outlet, valentino shoes, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, mcm handbags, chi flat iron, lululemon, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, new balance, ralph lauren, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, iphone 6 cases, nike air max, instyler, babyliss, herve leger, baseball bats, nfl jerseys, ferragamo shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes, nike huarache, converse outlet, p90x workout, converse, vans shoes, soccer shoes

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

toms shoes, moncler, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, michael kors handbags, barbour, replica watches, moncler, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, wedding dresses, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, barbour jackets, louis vuitton, karen millen, michael kors outlet, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, moncler, louis vuitton, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, montre pas cher, moncler, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, swarovski crystal, links of london, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, canada goose, michael kors outlet online, hollister, moncler, moncler, ugg boots uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, canada goose, swarovski, sac louis vuitton pas cher, coach outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home