Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Dorothy Is Back.

All through my pre-teens and my early teens I used to spend hours dying of boredom at various boutiques whilst my mother tried on dresses, pants, tops, shirts, blouses, whatever, and surrounded by an entourage of simpering salespeople. Through the self-absorbed pre-teen fog I noticed that most of the boredom was spent at 2 boutiques in particular, namely "Man And His Woman" and "Glamourette".

Glamourette was preferred because it had a white leather sofa and the staff once gave me a glass of Ribena Perrier. When my fidgeting and boredom threatened to distract my mother, they gave me full access to a cupboard full of Karl Lagerfeld watches, still in their original boxed casing, so that I could play blocks. A 9-year old. Playing with blocks. That's entertainment for you.

Then for some obscure reason (divorce, single mother with 3 kids), my mother stopped going to any boutiques at all and I came into my late 20s without interfacing again with Karl Lagerfeld-inspired blocks. Then 1 fine day, my mother gives me a deep blue lycra wrap top with fitted hoodie, so deviously put together that I need directions to put it on and it comes with a perfectly matched set of translucent white capri pants. That didn't fit. How the f am I going to wear this.

Take it to Dorothy at Glamourette, she said. Tell her that I sent you. Dorothy will take care of you.

So I'm supposed to walk into what I realise is one of the most expensive boutiques in town and look for a Dorothy? And then what?

Just go, said the mother.

So one day when my office was shifting premises and they had taken away my files, my telephone and finally my computer, thus making it truly impossible to get any work done, I stomped off in a huff to Glamourette.

I got exactly what I expected - after lurking around forever looking at super expensive tops, shirts, jeans, etc. I finally get a salewoman's attention and I ask for Dorothy. She points out an older woman who is engaged with a customer then wanders off and everyone seems very preoccupied until I say I am Dr Chan's daughter.

Freeze.

Suddenly, I am In like Flynn. I am the cat's pajamas. The bee's knees. Best thing since the white bread. Dorothy gives me a hug and kiss on both cheeks while leading me to a dressing room, taking out the clothes from my bag and asking someone to get me some water. There is the white leather sofa again, looking very very white despite the fact that almost 20 years have passed. I am "Dear", and I am inside a huge dressing room with a range of high heeled shoes (to match the outfits being tried on), a small sofa (to rest - trying on clothes is tiring stuff) and soft, warm, flattering yellow light everywhere.

Ok. The allotted 20 minutes for a blog entry are up. Till next time.

12 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha... and you still have the time to blog.

you're fantastic!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger gremlin said...

whaddya mean she's back?! ARGHGHGHGHG!!! OMIGOD. I had fun. Miss that. BUT, omigod, are you SURE she's still around? omigod. I ain't coming home no more. can't afford the flight plus dorothy. still love my preddi red dress - as do you. and my black 2 piece which I have worn to death. for some reason, I have no recollection of what I spent that day. I think trying to fool damian that day (plus kenny, plus er...oh god I forgot his name, stacie's man, the sticky quiet one...)really erased all from my memory bank.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

Kierra: Thanks! I'm very flattered. The blog is really my entertainment. It's much better than blocks.

Gremlin: Dorothy says to say hello, kiss kiss. Also, didn't I tell you to buy the dress in black? You would've used it more.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

Steven.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger gremlin said...

ah...steven...is he still in hellhole with your that bastard no.2?

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously man. don't know how you keep it up. i got no kid and i already got no time to do anything ^^;;;; :)))

 
At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh sorry, forgot to add. this is moi, formerly commenting under nick of "lilacs out of the dead land". like you couldn't tell.

no, really, you *could* tell, couldn't you? :>

i just got bored with the old phrase. see how long it takes before i get bored with this one :)

and your mum quite useful leh... :)

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

Mabes! Hello! I was wondering what had happened.

I still don't understand why you don't spend every evening at Mann's Chinese Theatre welcoming the stars and taking photos. If I were you, I'd spend my weekends doing celebrity home drive-bys.

Gremlin, you never fail to horrify me. Never. Talk about little old lady's balls.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger gremlin said...

where is stacie by the way? where is stacie? is she alive?

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are regularly described as 2 din car DVD, or double din DVD players and this
designation references the height of the component. Its screen
is also a little bit larger than the HTC One's (they're about equally sharp),
it has a micro - SD slot for expandable memory,
and it'll be available on Verizon -- the HTC One will not. 0, has a 13-megapixel camera, and has a bunch of other features that will make consumers foam at the mouth.

my web page; samsung s4

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, burberry, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, longchamp, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, replica watches, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, prada outlet, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, burberry outlet online, nike air max, jordan shoes, ugg boots, cheap oakley sunglasses

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

toms shoes, moncler, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, michael kors handbags, barbour, replica watches, moncler, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, wedding dresses, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, barbour jackets, louis vuitton, karen millen, michael kors outlet, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, moncler, louis vuitton, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, montre pas cher, moncler, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, swarovski crystal, links of london, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, canada goose, michael kors outlet online, hollister, moncler, moncler, ugg boots uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, canada goose, swarovski, sac louis vuitton pas cher, coach outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home