Friday, May 22, 2009

I've never had a dress named after me until now, and now I want to see it

Checked out the Pink Frangipani dress shoppe yesterday at lunchtime and found some pretty awesome stuff.

This is Gremlin's (from Gremlink) dream and creation and I had not realised up till then that she designs and names her dresses after her friends and known acquaintances.

I found The Stacie, a rather hawt black chiffon cocktail dress with an extremely flattering bias cut around the waist and hips, and also The Ciara, which is a deep red pleated silk dress, short, but also with a similarly flattering waist and hip cut.

Then Gremlin tells me that there is also The Jennifer, but IT IS SOLD OUT.

Eeeee!!!!!!!! (*flaps hands in front of face like a preteen girl*)

Need. To see. The Jennifer.

This is just (JUST) like Lorac cosmetics, where I found The Lipstick I Had Been Searching For All My Life, where the designer names her lipstick colours after various different famous Hollywood celebrities. OSOM!!!!

So what goes through your mind when you design something and name it after someone, I asked the Gremlin.

Well, I think of what she would most likely be wearing, like her favorite dress or her usual style.

OSOM!!!!

I suspect The Jennifer is probably a very short dress, probably rather low cut, either in the back or the front but not both, very likely in black/ a muted colour or a deep satiny red silk. The last little black dress I wore out to the pub (or, as my mother would say, the nightcrup) was a short black halter dress, so short in fact that I could not use an escalator, only lifts.

Gremlin's stuff is inspiring because it's cocktail dresses, and tops and bottoms designed for professional women in their 30s and beyond, not just for women in their 20s.

What's the difference between these 2 groups? We are not going to Zouk anymore, we're not partying anymore, we are working women and mothers who go to houseparties, work functions, dinners and dances, and other people's wedding dinners. Or sometimes just dinner with the husband and friends at a nice restaurant.

And when we do go, we do not want to have to choose between the evening gown we wore for our wedding x years ago, or the same exhausted black dress we have already been seen in for the last 5 of these occasions, paired with the same exhausted pashmina. We would like, for once, to wear something new, not too tight, not too stretchy, something in a cut that will be kind to the waistline and hips and which will make us look hawt. Something which will not require me to hold my breath when I put it on, and then throughout the rest of the evening until I can sit down somewhere and put a napkin on my lap.

Something that will let me show off the assets I still have and the ones that I acquired after having a kid (more curves) while hiding the extra pounds that I put on in the wrong places after having said kid.

And it's got to be affordable. I'm not paying more than S$280 - 300. I've got to budget for kid stuff.

Also, I don't want the latest bright funky colours. I want the kind of colours I see in Boss (for their women's range), Chanel, LVMH, Celine and Gucci. I want black, silky satiny greys, whites, deep satiny reds that glow and shimmer in dim lighting - and that will not wrinkle if I bring the kid out with me for the dinner.

Is that a tall order? I don't think so. She's come up with just the thing, ensconsced in the 2nd floor of the Windmill Mall at Holland V. And there's an accessories and photoframe shop next door.

9 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Blogger expat@large said...

The last 5 occasions? OMG! Social death! I have one pair of jeans. No-one complains. (No-one is game to to!)

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger marke said...

Damn, I love buying nice dresses! .... Now I have to go there..!

(and no, they're not for me)... well, in a way, they are, I suppose...

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Indiana said...

I think I should take the gf to visit the store?

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger gremlin said...

this is too sweet. did not know you wrote this. *all smiles now* happy again....

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, tory burch outlet, louboutin, gucci outlet, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, replica watches, nike air max, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, nike outlet, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike free, oakley sunglasses, burberry, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, ugg boots, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, uggs on sale, longchamp, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

coach outlet, air max, air jordan pas cher, north face, lululemon, abercrombie and fitch, sac guess, vanessa bruno, lacoste pas cher, michael kors, ray ban uk, hollister, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, oakley pas cher, coach factory outlet, nike roshe run, true religion jeans, nike free run uk, coach purses, nike blazer, tn pas cher, coach outlet, michael kors, kate spade handbags, nike air max, nike air max, timberland, true religion jeans, nike free, ray ban pas cher, converse pas cher, north face, burberry, ralph lauren uk, nike roshe, true religion outlet, mulberry, true religion jeans, air force, vans pas cher, new balance pas cher, michael kors, louboutin pas cher, hollister pas cher, longchamp pas cher, hogan, michael kors, sac longchamp, hermes

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban, hollister, nike huarache, ghd, vans, asics running shoes, hollister, wedding dresses, insanity workout, converse outlet, hollister, north face outlet, abercrombie and fitch, new balance, beats by dre, nike roshe, oakley, ralph lauren, vans shoes, chi flat iron, longchamp, soccer shoes, louboutin, bottega veneta, celine handbags, giuseppe zanotti, birkin bag, babyliss, nike trainers, p90x workout, nfl jerseys, nike air max, valentino shoes, herve leger, lululemon, jimmy choo shoes, mont blanc, timberland boots, ferragamo shoes, gucci, mac cosmetics, nike air max, reebok shoes, iphone 6 cases, converse, north face outlet, mcm handbags, soccer jerseys, instyler, baseball bats

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

longchamp sale
tom ford sunglasses
nike air zoom
michael kors outlet
jordan shoes
lebron james shoes
nike polo
michael kors handbags
chrome hearts
chrome hearts
20170712

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Mai said...

خدمات راس الخيمة
صيانة واصلاح مكيفات كاريرراس الخيمة
صيانةواصلاح مكيفات ماديم راس الخيمة

 

Post a Comment

<< Home