Tuesday, June 12, 2007

When ya piss off the Carrier Man ...

So after sitting in my office-cum-sauna for I don't know how many weeks and constantly calling the Carrier man back again and again to fix the air conditioning problem (which he initially refused to admit was a problem), I think I finally called him back one too many times.

You would think when the guy refuses to admit there's a problem with the aircon that maybe he might not know how to fix it, so he tells you there isn't a problem so he doesn't have to fix it, right?

What you may not realise is, hell no, maybe he does know how to fix it, but he doesn't want to fix it because he can't be bloody bothered. And then the 6th or 7th time he comes back, he decides, okay. Now she's really done it. She's pissed me off. By God this time I will fix the aircon. And I will fix it reel gud. How diabolical is that?!

So I return from a meeting and I walk into ... Siberia. What he's done in the one hour I was away from the office is lower the thermostat to .... the lowest it could possibly go to sustain human life, and then screw all the vents fully open so that even if I change my mind and try to go with a little bit of self-help remedy, me and my little office screwdriver (ok, it's a pen, alright) will never be able to close them again. Ever. Even if I use the office blowtorch (ok, it's a lighter, alright) or the office hammer (high heel) and nails (another pen) or my ultimate secret weapon (screaming while doing all of the above), I will never EVER be able to close the vents myself. I will have to pick up the phone and beg the Carrier man to come back to fix it.

10 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My office is freezing too! It's freakin' 85 degrees outside but these schmoes (my bosses, not the Carrier man) think it's funny to have the AC on -2. Booo.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*advertisement jingle* ...the Carrier man can....

Haha you crack me up!

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger valkyrie said...

i'm about to move into my own room in the office. it's also known as the Ice Box. will be digging out a few fauxfur-lined hoodie coats from my winter stuff in the storeroom to take to work when i've been transplanted.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger HairyDonut said...

El Tracks: This could be a problem. I think it's a sign that your bosses aren't actually human -but it's good that you found out through the aircon and not when they are eating your brain.

Anon: I actually loved that jingle when I was a kid. How ironic is that.

Val: Wearing fur in the office!! All you media types are just too glamorous!!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger gremlin said...

Try tape. Good old scotch tape. Just tape them all up in a jumble of mess till the air doesn't come thru anymore. Then poke a tiny hole with your pencil if it gets too stuffy. My DIY trick. Worked perfectly too.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger eyes said...

We tape our aircon vents too. Half of them so that we don't die of suffocation or heat stroke :D

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hairydonut: yeah, you'd think living in chicago would be enough cold for them. they really must be brain-eating zombies.

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so hell uses Carrier.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger miss ene said...

My home is fitted out with Carrier aircon too apparently because we (kids at that time) told our parents to only use Carrier because of that darn jingle. And the stoooopid thing is, our parents believed us. Ha. So now, we are stuck with Carrier airconditioning units and trying to get those men to come service them is akin to getting through to the President.

Brillant ad campaign, I'd say.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin, birkin bag, hollister, longchamp, ghd, insanity workout, nike roshe, beats by dre, hollister, oakley, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, celine handbags, hollister, asics running shoes, gucci, giuseppe zanotti, vans, wedding dresses, timberland boots, mont blanc, north face outlet, valentino shoes, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, mcm handbags, chi flat iron, lululemon, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, new balance, ralph lauren, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, iphone 6 cases, nike air max, instyler, babyliss, herve leger, baseball bats, nfl jerseys, ferragamo shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes, nike huarache, converse outlet, p90x workout, converse, vans shoes, soccer shoes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home