Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Coldplay Again!

Against my better judgement (another bitter joke- when have I ever had a better judgement) I went and agreed to give another seminar about 2 months ago and it is tomorrow.

Here I am again, it's almost midnight and I'm struggling to finish all my work so that I can be out of the office tomorrow afternoon giving a seminar whilst nothing blows up in my in-box/ in-tray/ office dustbin whilst I am otherwise occupied. The sheer irony of it! It's not like I'm going on leave tomorrow or anything. It's ... like working extra today so that I can work extra tomorrow afternoon. And then come back to the office and work extra late to finish all the other work I could have done whilst I was giving the seminar. Grrr... this is almost indescribably stupid. In fact, it is. Indescribably stupid.

The whole seminar circuit is a vicious cycle. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Lots of good publicity for the firm and myself if I do (although the possibility of getting new clients is dubious if I don't have enough time to prepare, or simply if the seminar attendees are not interested in appointing external counsel for that particular topic/ issue anyway) and no publicity for the firm or myself if I don't. No shortage of other speakers to fill up the slots anyway! Every time I see anyone else speaking on a seminar topic that I think I could have done (better?) I chip another molar with the clenching and grinding of teeth, and chip another ankle with the kicking of myself.

Tomorrow will, however, be a "watershed seminar" for me since the next speaker (right after me! eeek!) will be none other than my very first boss/ mentor. The man who got me interested in this area of practice in the first place. My original inspiration, my Shi Fu. I was extremely traumatized when I handed him my letter of resignation in 2001. In the Kung Fu movies, no one ever hands their Shi Fu a letter of resignation, it's just not good TV. When he last worked with me, I was a junior tiger cub wannabe lawyer. He gave the seminars - I changed the slides and constantly forgot to switch off the screensaver. Now I'm meeting him (kinda) on equal ground. As cliched and ridiculous as it sounds (particularly at my advanced age), I still find it extremely nervewracking.

I can imagine it now and will probably have nightmares tonight about it. I'll be speaking, and he'll be sitting in front of the audience, listening and trying not to laugh. Or he'll just look horrified, and think, Thank goodness she quit. God forbid she should be dishing out this crap advice to my clients.

To add stress to stress, his current junior tiger cub associate will be in the audience too. Grinning.

3 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, burberry, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, longchamp, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, replica watches, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, prada outlet, nike outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin, tiffany and co, louis vuitton, burberry outlet online, nike air max, jordan shoes, ugg boots, cheap oakley sunglasses

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin, birkin bag, hollister, longchamp, ghd, insanity workout, nike roshe, beats by dre, hollister, oakley, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, celine handbags, hollister, asics running shoes, gucci, giuseppe zanotti, vans, wedding dresses, timberland boots, mont blanc, north face outlet, valentino shoes, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, mcm handbags, chi flat iron, lululemon, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, new balance, ralph lauren, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, iphone 6 cases, nike air max, instyler, babyliss, herve leger, baseball bats, nfl jerseys, ferragamo shoes, nike trainers, reebok shoes, nike huarache, converse outlet, p90x workout, converse, vans shoes, soccer shoes

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

toms shoes, moncler, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, michael kors handbags, barbour, replica watches, moncler, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, wedding dresses, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, bottes ugg, barbour jackets, louis vuitton, karen millen, michael kors outlet, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, moncler, louis vuitton, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, montre pas cher, moncler, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, swarovski crystal, links of london, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, canada goose, michael kors outlet online, hollister, moncler, moncler, ugg boots uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, canada goose, swarovski, sac louis vuitton pas cher, coach outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home